This quickstart guide was created and based off the SJCAM SJ7 Star Action Camera using firmware version 1.20.
It’s important when first receiving your new camera to go through the following setup procedures. This not only helps you learn how to navigate the different camera modes but also ensures you know the function of each button. This lesson will guide you through the basic setup procedure.
|Charge the Camera||Insert the Memory Card||Learn the Buttons||Photo, Video & Setting Modes||Setup the Date/Time||Disable Loop Recording|
Before you rush out and start shooting video there are a few simple steps your should take to ensure your getting the most out of your new action camera. Follow along and we’ll show you the action camera quick start guide to using your new SJCAM SJ7 Star Action Camera.
Charging the SJCAM SJ7 Star
Prior to setup, we recommend you fully charge the camera by using the included USB cable. By either plugging the camera into an available USB port on your computer or by using a compatible 5 volt 1 amp USB power adapter (wall charger). The first initial charge will take approximately 3 hours to complete. The charging status is indicated by the LED status light shown below.
Once fully charged the Red LED will turn off. Your camera is now ready to use.
Insert the Memory Card
We recommend using a Class 10 32GB size (or less) microSDHC memory card with the SJCAM SJ7 Star Action Cameras. Xtreme Sport DV offers the Sandisk Extreme 32GB Memory Cards for a great price, so if you haven’t already purchased one with your camera head on over to pick one up! It’s important to note that the SJ7 Star can film in Native 4K Resolution which requires a memory card rated for 4K video recording. We recommend the Sandisk Extreme for recording in 4K resolutions. If your experiencing intermittent camera freeze-ups or glitchy video recordings, the memory card your using is to slow. Either replace the card with a faster speed or lower the cameras recording resolution.
When inserting the memory card, do not force or jam the card in. When installed correctly it’ll slide down into the spring-loaded slot with little effort. If the card is going in crooked or with friction then try inserting the other way around.
SJCAM SJ7 Star Buttons
- OK / Shutter Release Button
- Used to take a picture in photo mode or start/stop video recording in video mode.
- Used to confirm selections while in the preview mode and camera settings menu.
- Power / Menu Button
- Press and hold for 3 seconds to power on/off the camera.
- With the camera powered on; a single press to toggle between video mode and photo mode.
- With the camera in a menu mode; press to move 1-step back in the menu structure.
- Settings Button
- With the camera powered on; press to load the camera settings menu.
- While inside the camera menu; press to toggle through selections.
- With the camera powered on and in a Photo/Video Mode; press and hold for 3 seconds to enable/disable WIFI.
SJ7 Star Touchscreen
In addition to the 3 basic buttons above, the majority of your interaction with the camera will take place using the 2″ touchscreen. Based upon the firmware version mentioned above, these touch gestures will allow interaction with additional menus, settings and modes the SJ7 Star has to offer.
Swipe Down on the LCD Touchscreen to reveal Playback Mode, Wireless Remote Control and WIFI
Swipe Sideways, either left or right on the back LCD Touchscreen to switch between the Photo and Video Modes
Swipe Up on the LCD Touchscreen to reveal the additional Video and Photo modes and settings
SJCAM SJ7 Star Photo, Video & Settings Mode
The SJCAM SJ7 Star features Photo & Video camera modes. To cycle through these modes, press the Power/Mode button on the front of the camera.
The SJ7 Star defaults to Native 4K video at 30fps. Once the camera is powered on, you’re ready to shoot video. To start/stop recording, press the OK button.
With the camera powered on, press the Power/Mode button to toggle between Photo and Video Modes. Additionally, you can also swipe Left/Right on the touchscreen to quickly toggle between photo and video modes.
With the camera powered on, this menu is accessed by swiping up on the LCD touchscreen. Use this menu to access additional photo and video modes such as: Capture, Self Timer, Photo Burst, Record, Video Lapse and Photo Lapse.
Camera Settings Menu
The camera settings menu is accessed by pressing the Settings button on the front of the camera. This menu is where you’re going to adjust all camera, photo and video related settings.
** NOTE: the options will change depending which mode you’re in. To change video settings, make sure you’re in Video Mode prior to entering the camera settings menu. To change photo settings, make sure your in Photo mode.
Setting the Date/Time on the SJCAM SJ7 Star
- To change the date and time first start by powering on the SJ7 Star camera and navigating to the settings menu. After power-up this will be 1 press on the “Settings” button located on the front of the camera.
- Using the touchscreen, find and tap the “Wrench” icon on the left side of the screen.
- Using your finger on the touchscreen, swipe up to scroll through the menu. Find “Date Setup” and complete inputting the correct date.
- Using your finger on the touchscreen, swipe up to scroll through the menu. Find “Time Setup” and complete inputting the correct time.
- Once the correct information has been entered confirm and save the settings by pressing the “X” button on-screen and exiting the menu.
The SJCAM SJ7 Star in it’s default state will have the timestamp setting enabled. This setting will overlay the current Date/Time we previously setup onto your video and picture files. Depending on your requirements, you may want to disable this setting. You may do so from the video settings menu under the “Video Stamp” selection. Do the same from the photo settings menu under the “Photo Stamp” section.
SJCAM SJ7 Star Loop Recording
We HIGHLY recommend turning the loop recording setting OFF in almost all situations. Leaving this enabled may result in data loss. One of the only situations this should be enabled is for dash camera usage.
With loop recording enabled the camera will record a bunch of video files based on the interval selected in the settings. Once the memory card becomes full the camera will automatically delete the oldest video file to make room for the new file.
SJCAM SJ7 Star Wireless Remote Pairing
Please visit the How to Pair the SJCAM Wireless Remote page for pairing instructions.