This quickstart guide was created and based off the SJCAM SJ5000x Elite Action Camera using firmware version 1.4.8. Other SJ5000 Series Action Cameras will be using the same techniques, buttons and menus as this guide.
It’s important when first receiving your new camera to go through the following setup procedures. This not only helps you learn how to navigate the different camera modes but also ensures you know the function of each button. This lesson will guide you through the basic setup procedure.
|Charge the Camera||Insert the Memory Card||Learn the Buttons||Photo/Video Modes||Setup the Date/Time||Disable Loop Recording|
Before you rush out and start shooting video there are a few simple steps your should take to ensure your getting the most out of your new action camera. Follow along and we’ll show you the action camera quick start guide to using your new SJCAM SJ5000 Series Action Camera.
Charging the SJ5000
Prior to setup, we recommend you fully charge the camera by using the included USB cable. By either plugging the camera into an available USB port on your computer or by using a compatible 5 volt 1 amp USB power adapter (wall charger). The first initial charge will take approximately 3 hours to complete. The charging status is indicated by the LED status light shown below.
Once fully charged the Red LED will turn off. Your camera is now ready to use.
Insert the Memory Card
We recommend using a Class 10 32GB size (or less) microSDHC memory card with the SJ5000 Series Action Cameras. Xtreme Sport DV offers the Sandisk Ultra 32GB Memory Cards & Sandisk Extreme 32GB Memory Cards for a great price, so if you haven’t already purchased one with your camera head on over to pick one up! It’s important to note that the SJ5000x (4K Resolution) requires a memory card rated for 4K video recording. We recommend the Sandisk Extreme for recording in 4K resolutions. If your experiencing intermittent camera freeze-ups or glitchy video recordings, the memory card your using is to slow. Either replace the card with a faster speed or lower the cameras recording resolution.
When inserting the memory card, do not force or jam the card in. When installed correctly it’ll slide down into the spring-loaded slot with little effort. If the card is going in crooked or with friction then try inserting the other way around.
- OK Button
- Used to take a picture in photo mode or start/stop video recording in video mode.
- Used to confirm selections while in the preview mode and camera settings menu.
- Power / Mode / Menu Button
- Press and hold for 3 seconds to power on/off the camera.
- With the camera powered on; a single press to toggle between video mode, photo mode and the camera menu.
- WIFI Button
- This button will enable/disable WIFI. Enabling WIFI will drastically decrease the battery run-time and we only recommend using it while the camera is plugged in or constantly powered using a USB battery bank.
- Up Button
- While in Video and Photo modes holding the up button will zoom in.
- While in preview mode and the settings menu the up button will navigate selections “UP”.
- Down Button
- While in Video and Photo modes holding the down button will zoom out.
- While in preview mode and the settings menu the down button will navigate selections “DOWN”.
SJCAM SJ5000 Series Photo & Video Modes
The SJCAM SJ5000 features several camera modes. To cycle through these modes, press the Power/Mode button on the front of the camera until the desired camera mode is located.
The SJ5000x defaults to full HD 1080p video at 60fps. Once the camera is powered on, you’re ready to shoot video. To start/stop recording, press the OK button.
Photo mode is accessed by pressing the Power/Mode button one time from the video mode default setting.
The menu is accessed by pressing the Power/Mode button twice from the video mode default setting. Use the menu to select camera setup and additional video/photo modes such as: Video + Photo, Video Lapse, Slow Motion, Photo Lapse, Burst Mode, Long Exposure, Underwater, Motion Detection, Dash Cam, Video Playback and the Camera Setup Menu.
Setting the Date/Time on the SJ5000
- To change the date and time first start by powering on the SJ5000 camera and navigating to the camera menu. After power-up this will be 2 presses on the “Power/Mode” button.
- Use the side UP/DOWN arrow buttons and find the “Setup” option. Confirm your highlighted selection by pressing the top “OK” button.
- Find the “Date/Time” setting by repeatedly pressed the up or down arrows. Confirm your highlighted selection by pressing the “OK” button.
- Using the up/down arrows, set the year. Confirm the selection by pressing the “OK” button. Continue this step to set the month, day and time fields.
- Once the correct date/time has been entered confirm and save the settings by pressing the front “Power/Menu” button. You will be returned to the main settings menu.
The SJCAM SJ5000 in it’s default state will have the timestamp setting enabled. This setting will overlay the current Date/Time we previously setup onto your video and picture files. Depending on your requirements, you may want to disable this setting. You may do so from the settings menu under the “Time Stamp” selection.
SJ5000 Loop Recording
We HIGHLY recommend turning the loop recording setting OFF in almost all situations. Leaving this enabled may result in data loss. One of the only situations this should be enabled is for dash camera usage.
With loop recording enabled the camera will record a bunch of video files based on the interval selected in the settings. Once the memory card becomes full the camera will automatically delete the oldest video file to make room for the new file.